Senior Environmental Planner
VHB has an immediate need for a Senior Environmental Planner in its Hauppauge, New York office. The successful candidate will have 5+ years of professional experience in consulting in the environmental field. In addition to participating in high-profile environmental/planning projects and assisting in business development efforts, the Senior Environmental Planner will also be responsible for assisting in management and mentoring of staff.
- Prepare environmental impact statements and assessments, planning and zoning studies, wetlands and coastal permit applications, and visual impact analyses.
- Review and prepare State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA) documentation
- Assist clients with the administration of SEQRA and NEPA processes
- Conduct environmental planning analyses
- Independently perform research and prepare written technical reports
- Coordinate and communicate with internal and external project team members
- Participate in new business development efforts
- Act as a mentor for junior level staff
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Team oriented with strong capability to motivate others
- Must demonstrate an ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates
- Thorough understanding of technical environmental impact analysis methods
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter
- Experience in delivering expert testimony before municipal boards a plus
- Successful candidate will have 5+ years of environmental planning experience
- Extensive knowledge of SEQRA/NEPA, land use regulation and wetlands permitting
- BS degree in environmental science, geology, urban planning, civil engineering, or a related field
- Experience in managing other staff members
VHB’s passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers provides consulting services to clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as to federal, state and local governments. Ranked 76th in the nation among top design firms by ENR, VHB partners with clients from 22 offices along the east coast to improve mobility and enhance communities while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
VHB provides a challenging, fun, and rewarding work environment. Our staff enjoy opportunities to grow professionally and work on challenging and interesting projects. Our dynamic, people-centric organization focuses on a culture of collaboration, personal development, and developing lasting relationships both inside and outside of our firm.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. VHB ensures nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. VHB Participates in the E-verify employment authorization program. Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply.