Sustainable Long Island is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Community Planner who can contribute to our organization’s delivery of resources, services and expertise to municipalities, community and economic development practitioners and sustainability stakeholders. We provide expertise in facilitating bottom-up public involvement, community participation and outreach, technical assistance, education and training, and project management services.
Client and partner initiatives involve a variety of inter-related issues including economic development & community revitalization, redevelopment of brownfields and vacant properties, environmental justice, community health, wellness and nutrition in the built environment as well as food access & equity issues Island-wide.
The Community Planner will work on a variety of issues critical to advancing sustainability on Long Island such as: improving environmental health by promoting brownfield redevelopment and raising awareness about environmental justice, conservation and climate change issues; working to make healthy, affordable food choices available in low-income communities; helping communities ravaged by Super-storm Sandy to become more resilient by facilitating planning and recovery meetings; and advancing sustainable economic development across the region by promoting revitalization and strengthening our downtowns.
The ideal candidate is a critical thinker who possesses excellent collaboration, organizational, public involvement, writing and presentation skills (including experience preparing material for planning-related projects), has experience in community organizing and managing planning projects.
Essential Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge
- Understanding of economic and community development, environmental health, social equity/justice, and sustainability principles.
- Excellent analytical, research and writing skills.
- High degree of comfort with public speaking and making public presentations.
- A pro-active and self-directed attitude with an ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to work in an organized, efficient manner with a high level of accuracy, attention to detail, and follow-through.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion. Must be professional at setting priorities and coping with competing demands. Ability to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent time-management and general organization skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including spreadsheet applications.
- Familiarity with database and survey software, GIS and thematic mapping programs is a plus.
- Ability to speak Spanish a strong plus.
Education and/or Experience
A bachelor’s degree in planning, sustainability studies, public policy, government relations, community organizing, urban design, or related field required. Master’s degree is preferred. A minimum of one-to-three years of experience is required, however, various combinations of education and experience will be considered.
How To Apply
Send a resume cover letter to email@example.com with “Community Planner” in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Pay commensurate with experience and benefits available.