Village of Port Jefferson is looking to hire a full-time planner.
All interested planners should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Planner” in subject line or write to
Alison LaPointe, Esq., Director of Planning & Building
Village of Port Jefferson
88 North Country Road, Port Jefferson, NY 11777.
The Incorporated Village of Port Jefferson is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of a full-time Planner. Port Jefferson (informally known as Port Jeff) is an incorporated village in the Town of Brookhaven in Suffolk County, New York on the North Shore of Long Island. This tourist destination has a population of approximately 7,750. With a deep water harbor, Port Jeff serves as home to the Port Jefferson-Bridgeport Ferry that runs between Connecticut and Long Island. Upper Port Jeff, further inland, houses a commercial district, the Long Island Railroad and 1 of the Village’s 2 hospitals. Port Jefferson is also the center of the Greater Port Jefferson region of northwestern Brookhaven, serving as the cultural, commercial and transportation hub of the neighboring Port Jefferson Station, Belle Terre, Mount Sinai, Miler Place, and the Setaukets and Stony Brook University. This vibrant Village continues to be a goal destination for many while balancing good planning and revitalization efforts. Port Jefferson’s busy Planning Department is looking to hire a full-time Planner as soon as possible.
Essential Skills, Abilities & Knowledge:
- Review Planning Board (PB) and Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) Plans applicationsand plans for compliance with Village Code, SEQR, environmental regulations and good
- Conduct site inspections in association with Planning & Zoning applications.
- Manage environmental/engineering consultants to review plans and advise Planning
- Project management to ensure all timelines are met and handled expeditiously.
- Make oral and written presentations to PB & ZBA.
- Ensure SEQR timelines are adhered to.
- Graduation from a New York State or regionally accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Civil Engineering, or a related field.
- Masters Degree in a related field a plus.
- 5-7 years experience in planning/zoning field
- Knowledge of SEQR regulations and timelines
- Ability to review site plans
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong project management skills
- Familiarity with Planning & Zoning application process
- Additional skills in the following subject areas to advance ST and LT Village planning goals is a plus: transportation expertise, drafting comprehensive plans, code revisions, grant writing/management, waterfront planning, environmental planning, grant writing & management.
How to Apply:
- Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Planner” in subject line or write to Alison LaPointe, Esq., Director of Planning & Building, Village of Port Jefferson, 88 North Country Road, Port Jefferson, NY 11777.
- Salary range: $45,000.00- $51,000.00 depending on experience.