A symposium by the
APA Long Island Section & Long Island Regional Planning Council
Other states and countries have developed innovative solutions to water and shoreline management.
We bring experts from the Netherlands, our neighboring states, and the Gulf
for dialogue that will help us meet the challenges of climate change.
Date: September 12th
Time: 12-5pm, Luncheon included
Location: Allegria Hotel on the Boardwalk, City of Long Beach
PLEASE NOTE: Parking availability- at the hotel ($25) or on the surrounding streets
hotel: 80 West Broadway l Long Beach, NY 11561, Ph: 516.889.1300
For Long Island elected officials, municipal staff, community leaders, planners, engineers, architects
for tickets, please scroll down
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM: Registration
11:10 AM- 11:50AM: Optional Bus Tour of Long Beach- Recovery Updates (preregistration needed to secure the seat)
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM: Luncheon Plenary: New York Rising
The Coastal Reconstruction Program.
- Welcome: Jack Schnirman , City Manager, City of Long Beach
- Introduction: Jon Kaiman , Special Advisor for Long Island Storm Recovery
- Featured Speaker: James Rubin, Director, NY Rising Community Reconstruction Program
1:15 PM – 2:45 PM: Session 1- Protecting Whole Communities
Can Levees, Barriers, and Pumping Protect Long Island from Storm Surge and Sea Level Rise?
- Moderator: John D. Cameron, Jr. PE, Chair, Long Island Regional Planning Council; Managing Partner, Cameron Engineering & Associates
- Malcolm Bowman, PhD , Professor, Marine & Atmospheric Sciences, Stony Brook University
- Daniel Hitchings, PE, Vice President, Arcadis US, Jacksonville, Florida
- Ellen Monchen, Planning Department, City of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Joseph Vietri, Director, National Planning Center, Army Corps of Engineers, North Atlantic
2:45 PM-3:15 PM : Break- Networking and refreshments
3:15 PM – 4:45 PM: Session 3-Urban Water Management, Flood Prevention, and Green Infrastructure.
How Can We Accommodate More Intense Rain Storms and Reduce Flooding?
- Moderator: Dorian Dale, Chief Recovery Officer/ Director of Sustainability, Dept. Economic Development/Workforce Housing, Suffolk County
- Maureen Krudner, Green Infrastructure Program, USEPA, Region 2
- David Waggonner, III, FAIA , President, Waggonner & Ball Architects, New Orleans
- Paul van Wijk, Principal, Stijlgroep, Rotterdam, Netherlands
5 pm – Optional networking at the Allegria Bar or dinner at the Allegria or other Long Beach restaurants
- APA member: $35; Non-APA member: $45; Student: $25; At door: $60